Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My First Production Shoot - Khadijah


 
 
It's been a while since I've posted about what's been going on with my side of the internship boat, so here goes a whole LOT.
 
 
After a week of getting to work on some content for the web, and ending my week with birthday celebrations, it was time to prepare for my very first location shoot in Charleston! I got to work with the greats of the Palmetto Scene Production Crew: Rickey who is a producer for Palmetto Scene, and also from what I've seen and heard, the master editor, AJ and Xavier who brought all of the great laughs to the trip, and also do a lot with camera work and audio production. It was my first time getting to work with them, and my first time working outside of the ETV Office. It didn't hurt that it was in the beautiful area of Charleston.
 
 
 
Spoleto Fest is an annual event that showcases many forms of art, from dance, visual art, music, etc. The list goes on and on. The shoot took two days, so I even got to stay the night! The first day, Rickey and I went out to the College Of Charleston to hang with some of our partners over at ETV Radio to shoot some behind the scenes footage and interviews of some of what they do to prepare for and cover Spoleto Fest.
 
I learned a lot about the planning process of what it takes to plan a radio show. There is a team that comes in during the week and they go over visually on a white board who's being interviewed and when it's being aired. Their shows are recorded up to 48 hours in advance to make sure that their interviews are in good condition for airing under review.
 
Another fascinating tidbit was learning about a Spoleto Class the College of Charleston has in partnership with ETV Radio where students gain hands on experiences with planning the show and coming up with ideas for content.
 
 
After spending some time there, we briefly had lunch and time to explore the area downtown. Once we were settled into our hotel rooms, we planned for another outing to shoot part 2 of the ETV radio sequence.
 
ARP Studio is an at home studio base that is owned by one of the participants of ETV Radio. When the production team walked in, we were amazed at how ordinary the building looked on the outside - simply looked like an outhouse or storage unit, and walking in to red painted walls, instruments, production studio and recording studios. It was definitely an advanced unit of work.
 
There, we set up lighting equipment and our camera to record the action from both inside the recording booth and through the window of the production side of the studio. It was pretty cool to see the act of recording radio come alive, and observing the people of ETV Radio, they seemed to really enjoy what they do.
 
 
 
Once we wrapped up the shoot at the studio, it was time to head back to the hotel for R and R. While X and AJ went out to explore the area more, Rickey and I stayed closer to the view of the ocean of Charleston and I got to talk with him about what I learned and what I wanted to see more of here in ETV, including hopefully being able to go on another shoot, SOON!
 
Day 2, we actually got to see some of the action of Spoleto. Though it was a pretty hot day, we managed to overlook the heat to prepare for P.A. Bennet's portion of the Palmetto Scene show, as well as some of the sights around Spoleto Rickey wanted to include.
 
 
I really enjoyed seeing the artwork of the artists during Spoleto Fest. There were work that showcased still life, visuals of the world's features, such as the ocean, sky or flowers, and it was pretty cool to see artists brushing up on some of their pieces while the festival went on. Overall, I learned a lot about how to conduct a location shoot, how to set up the lighting properly, interacting with new people for the first time and working with others.
 
I would encourage all interns to assist with a production shoot. Even if you weren't chosen to go, it never hurts to ask. I thought that I would never really go to one of these, and after I got back from this one, I was encouraged to always ask if there was something my department wasn't necessarily doing that I wanted to. This really allows you to make the most out of your experience, and can do a lot for your career.
 
Next up, I'll discuss some of the projects I've been working on most recently with Palmetto Scene.
 
Stay Tuned,
 
Khadijah Dennis
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment