Friday, July 25, 2014

"We're so Pawley's Island" - Khadijah


Rachel, myself and Marina - The Interns


Only less than a week remain for my time here at South Carolina ETV, and I'm reminded more and more everyday that this opportunity is going to do wonders for my career in the near future.

Yesterday, the girls and I had a conversation regarding the question, "What next?" Though they're going on to face the tough decisions of where to take their career after graduation, I still have two years left to figure this all out, and I honestly don't know where this road is going to lead me.

I'm so used to going after opportunities, and completely shocked once they're in my grasp. I've found that during my time here with ETV, I am open to a lot of opportunities for my future, and I'm passionate about a great deal when it comes to media.

Though I know for certain that I would like to go on and serve my time at CNN with my career, I'm aware that a person trying to break out into the media industry doesn't just get lucky all the time.

And I'm okay with that.
I don't want to be that girl that expects a handout down the road, or to rely on references from other people (though that would probably be a great help in this industry!). I'm all about proving why a company needs me, and working on ways to stand out from the crowd with my work ethic and skill.
I think the most important thing to understand through that process however is to never think that you're too good for an opportunity. Yes, expecting more for yourself is something that you always should do, and that's how I was raised, but it can also hinder some great opportunities for you if you're not careful. Though my dream is with CNN, I know that it is not the only platform out there for me to share my knowledge and to educate individuals. I'm open to working with other platforms before or after my time with CNN if it is meant for me to do so.
It's also important to love what you do.
A part of our discussion about life and our future involved discovering the difference between what a job is and what a career is. In my opinion, a career is something that everyone should aim for - it is the very thing that keeps you going. Something that you never grow tired of, no matter how demanding the job may be. It's something that you love to do - you breathe it and you live it to the very best of your ability because it's something that you care about beyond the money. Money is a tangible object that we won't always have forever - it's something that we'll always work for, but many times, we're never motivated to do when we don't love what we have to do to get it.

I can only hope that with whatever I do in life, I'll love it to the very fullest of me. I hope that what I do helps and inspires someone and teaches them that news is more than an outlet of sharing negativity only, but showing the best parts of our world that people should be aware of.

And more importantly, that it'll be more than a job to me.

P.S. Because me trying Nutella for the first time in my life was a big deal.







No comments:

Post a Comment