Friday, May 30, 2014

20 Years Young, Another Week Conquered! - Khadijah


Debate 2 - New Set Up


There truly is an art here with what we do at SCETV! I'm just so proud and honored to be apart of the journey.

Week two didn't fail to disappoint me at all. From the very beginning, Aimee, my advisor, made sure that I had every opportunity to prove myself and why I'm a good fit here.

Since last week, I managed to finalize the Smith-Lever recap which highlighted both the Senate and house Representative's honoring Congressman Smith Lever's Family for the 100 year anniversary of the Smith-Lever act. I learned that this act did a lot as far as promoting agricultural practices and establishing 4-H clubs for children. Women also played a big role as it gave them more opportunities to get involved outside of just simple housework and child care.


Palmetto Scene - Smith Lever Video
 
The video is now made available on Palmetto Scene's website, and it took the front page highlights as well. It was my first form of web work for the show, and it really made my day to see my work made readily available for others to see.

In addition to the post work, I had an amazing job learning from another internship advisor here who works a lot with social media for Palmetto Scene, Tabitha. A lot of what I took from her were basic visual editing elements that proved useful for the end result. Considering that editing is still something that I'm learning, I'm open to any help and suggestions from those who have advanced skills with editing software. It's good to know that I can reach out to others here for advice such as that.


Maya Angelou dies at 86.

 
A bittersweet moment for myself this week was learning about the passing of my favorite author and poet, Dr. Maya Angelou.

I was at work when I first heard, and it was definitely bittersweet. I had the honor of writing the update for the website, in which my favorite SC author and poet, Nikky Finney, said some kind words of the famed poet as well. Her metaphor of Maya Angelou being a "walking library" couldn't I admire. I hope to walk in her footsteps of the legacy she's left behind with her work. I can definitely say of myself that I'm off to a solid start!

Moving on to another week of debates, this week had two! A lot of changes were made to the overall set up, and I like the change very well. Tuesday's debates finished off the GOP for Superintendent of Education nominees on the Republican side. Unlike last week, Tuesday's debate had 8 candidates, so not only did adjustments have to be made for lighting, but there were also changes made to the set up of how the candidates would appear visually on screen. It was my second time watching from the studio itself during filming.

Superintendent of Education - Republican Debate
 
For Thursday's debate, I had a change of scenery when I got the change to watch the debate in the production truck!


It was a great way of seeing how things are done behind the scenes. You could see the different shots from the 6 cameras the film crew used, there was a large monitor to show how the audience sees the production, and then there was a preview monitor that was used to set up the next shot when directed.

I was responsible for keeping time of how long each candidate talked during their scheduled times. It was just used as a reference to make sure no candidate was talking longer than they needed to.

I wish I knew a lot more about production techniques, so it was really cool to be behind the scenes watching everything.

In other news, I finally added a little flair to my own desk. In honor of my birthday week, my mother's card proudly stands against my computer screen.


Then yesterday, Marina and I enjoyed a night out at the Vista eating Mellow Mushroom after a great night of debates. I wasn't expecting to be treated to dinner, so it was really nice getting to know more about her and enjoying time away from the office for a bit.

I also shared with her my Oreo Truffles, made of white chocolate chips, oreo cookies and cream cheese. She said I did well. And today, I enjoy more. 20 years old never felt so great.

-K


No comments:

Post a Comment