Monday, May 19, 2014

Hands-On - Marina

Today was my first day of shooting for ETV! 

We went to Lake Murray Dam to record a story about "love locks." There are an increasing number of locks all over the fence with not only lovers initials written onto it but also the name of mothers, fathers, siblings, and other loved ones who passed away. I guess people are following the same trend from Europe!

So we went there, Tabitha thought me how to use the Canon camera, the slider and some other tools. Then she handled me the camera and said "go ahead, shoot whatever you want to." So there I was, trying to brainstorm the best angles and positions to get a shot. I didn't really think I would be shooting by myself right away in the first project I started working on! Tabitha literally let me do everything and get any shots I wanted to. She would just stand there supervising and giving advices on what I should do. I can tell that in one morning I learned tons of techniques and different ways of capturing video!!

Credits: Tabitha Safdi ;)
It was a success until....... The interviews!

After getting enough footage and b-rolls it was time to get some interviews going on. We tried to get some people who were walking on the walking path to talk to us what they thought about the "love locks", but it went harder than we thought... Nobody wanted to be in front of the camera speaking.

We decided to come back another day to get some more footage and try to get some interviews for our story.. Maybe we are lucky next time!

But anyways we came back, I got my hard drive, and imported the footage to it. 

I also met another intern today, Khadijah, who is very nice and we went to have some Chipotle after work! She will be working for the Palmetto Scene as well but in the Public Affairs department. Hopefully I can upload a picture with all the interns together soon!

I like to end my posts with something nice or a powerful message that I read or saw recently. So as usual I want to mention a girl called Malala Yousafzai who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009. I read a book written by Viviana Mazza about Malala's biography and I was thrilled!!! She was nominated for the Peace Prize when she was 13 YEARS OLD and her willpower is out of this world. 

Malala speaks out about her right, and the right of all women, to an education. She raised her voice even under Taliban's threats. A gunman shot Malala when she was traveling home from school in Pakistan, but she survived and she continues to speak out on the importance of education. This is not even half of the difficulties she had to face when she was younger. I think everyone and EVERY WOMAN should learn the story of Malala.

This quote came from a 13 year-old girl (who is now 17) and is specifically aimed at everyone, specifically women, in all countries fighting for better EDUCATION and equality.

"I raise up my voice not so that I can shout, but so those without a voice can be heard." ~Malala




No comments:

Post a Comment