Tuesday, May 13, 2014

No World Cup, Yes ETV! - Marina

So, today is my second day in the internship at the South Carolina Educational Television and wow..!! What a feeling to be here! I usually go back to my home country, Brazil, every summer, so this is a whole new experience for me and I have to say it's quite exciting!

Yesterday, the first thing I did when I got here was meeting with Tabitha Safdi, my supervisor. Tabitha has a great personality! She's extremely solicitous and warmhearted. 

The first place Tabitha took me was to the interns office. And guess what, I have my own desk! How awesome that is! There was only a problem... It was not decorated. Since my Brazilian roots would never allow me to leave it like that, today I went ahead and brought a picture frame of my lovely family and some daisy flowers :)



After some talking, she showed me around and introduced me to several people from different departments. Mark, the Director of Administration, gave me my intern credential card. I liked to know that Mark is a soccer fan!



Everyone was very very very nice and made me feel extremely comfortable. And, of course, everyone asked me, "are you really going to miss the World Cup?!"

After a quick tour, we had a meeting at 10 a.m. with some of the ETV producers and the Education & Outreach Director of the South Carolina Philharmonic. I loved that dynamic environment! Being a producer requires a great amount of responsibility and they have to pay attention to every single detail. For those who think television is all glamour, let me tell you that they're wrong! There's a lot going on behind the cameras before a show goes on the air or even online. Many important decisions need to be made, ideas need to be reshaped, and projects must be well planned. 

Then, we got back to the interns office and Tabitha talked to me about some of the projects I'll be working on as an intern. We'll be working mostly on the new series of Palmetto Scene called Original SC. Basically, Original SC is a series that features short videos of unique and amazing people who live, work and experience "all that the Palmetto State has to offer." We'll be creating stories outlines, researching, shooting, interviewing and editing everything for Original SC. Some of the previous videos feature an abstract artist from Charleston, a singer-songwriter from Gaffney, a spoken work artist, a sea turtle rescuer, and many other "original" and outstanding personalities. 

"What an amazing purpose!" I thought when I saw some of these videos online. I'm so glad to know that I'll be working with something that I believe in, it just makes me very happy!

Other than that, I'll be writing content for the Palmetto Scene page about arts, culture, business, education, health, technology, and others, which is very neat! Also, I'll be writing for the blog every week so anyone who wants to can follow my journey as an ETV intern!

1 comment:

  1. I'm very happy for you. your ways are always enlightened by God. Remains ever the daughter, friend, professional who is seeking the essence of things, listening and sharing everything that lives and learns. DAD

    ReplyDelete